Version 0.29: This article is up to date for the latest stable release of Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup.
|wretched star *|
|Speed||10 (move: 80%)|
|Type||wretched star, wretched star|
|Flags|| See invisible|
|A conflux of unearthly light and energy, awash in unnatural colours and strange forms no normal being was meant to perceive. Merely being near it fills your body with the disorder of the Abyss.|
Wretched stars are the chaos-spewing embodiments of Lugonu's realm, inflicting temporary (transient) bad mutations on everything nearby. These mutations will go away on their own after you have killed a few monsters. They also occasionally blast you with non-elemental Conjurations. In addition to the Abyss, they can be found in Lehudib's Moon Base.
|Spell set I|
|Slot1||Force Lance (3d14)||Magical flag|
|Slot2||Corrupting Pulse||Magical flag|
Tips & Tricks
- Unlike Malmutate, Corrupting Pulse doesn't require a line of fire. It affects all nearby opponents, so you cannot hide from the spell behind allies or other monsters.
- Make sure to check your mutations. Melee characters should watch out for a sudden Berserkitis, while any character should beware of No Unsafe Scrolls and No Unsafe Potions.
- The waves of bad mutations affect your allies too, reducing their speed, AC, and damage output.
- Undead will suffer temporary stat drain instead of mutations, with a coinflip chance of nothing happening. They should hence be careful of stat zero.
- In 0.28, wretched stars cast Corrupting Pulse less often, and it only gave 1 transient mutation. These changes were reverted in 0.29, along with 0.28's Abyss XP removal.
- Prior to 0.25, wretched stars had Iskenderun's Mystic Blast instead of Force Lance.
- Prior to 0.19, wretched stars' Corrupting Pulse mutated everyone in LOS, even their allies.
- Wretched stars were added in 0.12.
- 0.29 articles
- Fire resistance
- Cold resistance
- Electricity resistance
- Poison resistance
- Poison resistance 3
- Drown resistance
- Miasma resistance
- Negative energy resistance
- Negative energy 3
- Torment resistance
- Sticky flame resistance
- Silver vulnerability
- Human intelligence
- Uses nothing
- Nonliving holiness
- Asphyxiation resistance
- Little monsters
- See invisible
- Unbreathing monsters
- Insubstantial monsters