Banishment refers to sending a monster or the player to the Abyss. Although it causes no damage, a trip to the Abyss is often fatal for low- to mid-level characters. There are numerous ways banishment can occur:
- Certain monsters have the ability to banish the player via a LOS-range, beam-targeted spell. This can be resisted with high magic resistance.
- Being hit by a branded weapon of distortion can cause banishment (10% chance). For the same reason, being hit by a chaos-branded weapon will occasionally cause banishment. Unwielding a weapon of distortion poses an even greater risk (25% chance).
- Banishment is a severe Translocations or Summoning spell miscast effect.
- Zot traps cause random magical effects and can occasionally cause banishment.
- Lugonu worshipers can banish monsters via Lugonu's "Banishment" ability. Similar to the monster spell, this can also be resisted. Worshipers can also banish themselves via Lugonu's "Enter the Abyss" ability; this is meant for use in emergencies.
- While the player is under penance, the wrath of Lugonu, Vehumet, Nemelex Xobeh, Makhleb or Xom can result in banishment. Xom worshipers may also be sent there at random or if Xom becomes bored.
Banishing sends a monster and everything it's carrying to the Abyss (try not to banish monsters that are carrying items you want!). You gain partial experience based on the percentage of its remaining HP. While normal enemies are usually gone forever, banished uniques and monsters with high HD will be found wandering the Abyss. Likewise, any artefacts banished to the Abyss will eventually generate there. Being banished while already in the Abyss will send you to a deeper level of the Abyss, where you'll find stronger monsters (but also better loot, possibly including the Abyssal Rune).
Magic resistance protects against the monster spell and Lugonu invocation only. It does not help resist any other means of banishment.
When leaving the Abyss after being banished, you will return to the Dungeon level, floor of Pandemonium, or Ziggurat level that you were formerly on. Note that this is different from leaving the Abyss after you voluntarily entered it with a portal; in that case, you will return through the same portal you entered (unless it was a portal in Pandemonium, in which case you'll return to the main Dungeon).
By Ranged Magic
The more powerful the spellcaster attempting to banish you, the more magic resistance you'll need to resist it. Generally, magic resistance that is well into "extremely resistant" (three pips, or +++) will be enough to resist even ancient liches and Pan lords. Alternatively, you can avoid it by taking advantage of the limitations of the spell: Banishment can be cast at you from any range, but it requires a clear line of effect. Keeping a monster (friendly or hostile) between you and the caster will prevent it from attempting to banish you.
The following enemies cast Banishment:
The following enemies may be able to cast Banishment, depending on their spell set:
- L Ancient lich (20.0% chance)
- O Erolcha (33.3% chance)
- L Lich (20.0% chance)
- p Wizard (monster) (33.3% chance)
By Branded Weapon Attack
These monsters may generate with a distortion- or chaos-branded weapon. A hit by a distortion weapon has a 10% chance of banishment, while a hit by a chaos weapon has roughly a 1% chance. Additionally, any monster listed below without a specific weapon type may spawn with a polearm and thus have the capability of a reaching distortion/chaos attack. Monsters are listed with the weapon's brand and percentage chance of it possessing such a weapon:
Crazy Yiuf (quarterstaff of chaos, 100% chance of possession)
@ Psyche (dagger of distortion, 25%; dagger of chaos, 75%)
K Sonja (dagger or short sword of distortion, 50%)
@ Donald (distortion, 4%)
@ Frederick (distortion, 4%)
@ Margery (distortion, 4%)
p Hell knight (distortion, 4%)
i Spriggan defender (distortion, 10%)
i The Enchantress (distortion, 25%)
Note that any other monster capable of wielding weapons can pick up a distortion weapon and use it. This can result in even lowly monsters such as goblins banishing you, albeit very rarely.
By Melee Attack
These monsters have a chaos-branded attack, which can (rarely) result in Banishment:
t Apocalypse crab (can breathe clouds of chaos)
Additionally, some monsters have an innately distortion-branded attack:
- Prior to 0.19, all ogre magi could cast Banishment. Also, two cards, Damnation and Xom existed which both had a chance of banishing you.
- Prior to 0.13, draconian shifters were able to banish you. Also, attempting to use a scroll of vorpalise weapon to make a temporary distortion brand permanent could also result in banishment.
- Prior to 0.12, being banished while in the Abyss had no effect.
- Prior to 0.11, self-banishment was a popular way to leave Ziggurat floors that you just couldn't clear.
- Prior to 0.9, one of the possible outcomes of Hell's mystical force was banishment.
- Prior to 0.8, there was a resistible player version of this spell which sent one target to the Abyss. It was a level 4 Translocations spell. Renouncing Lugonu, Makhleb or Vehumet could result in immediate banishment.
- monster.cc:4908 (0.22.0)