Summonings is a magical skill that governs your ability at bringing forth monsters and other entities to fight for you, though unskilled practitioners may summon a hostile nameless horror instead. Summoned monsters are very similar to regular monsters, though are temporary and unable to follow you through stairs.
- Main Texts
- Book of Beasts: Summon Ice Beast, Summon Mana Viper, Monstrous Menagerie
- Book of Callings: Summon Small Mammal, Call Canine Familiar, Summon Guardian Golem
- Book of Dangerous Friends: Summon Guardian Golem, Spellforged Servitor
- Book of the Wilderness: Summon Forest, Summon Mana Viper, Summon Cactus Giant
- Grand Grimoire: Malign Gateway, Summon Horrible Things
- Other Texts
- Book of Armaments: Animate Armour
- Book of Blood: Summon Hydra
- Book of Cantrips: Summon Small Mammal
- Book of Death: Haunt
- Book of the Dragon: Dragon's Call
- Fen Folio: Summon Forest, Summon Hydra
- Book of the Hunter: Call Canine Familiar
- Book of Iron: Animate Armour
- Book of Minor Magic: Call Imp
- Book of Power: Spellforged Servitor
- Book of Rime: Summon Ice Beast
- Book of Scorching: Summon Cactus Giant
- Book of the Sky: Summon Lightning Spire
- Book of Storms: Summon Lightning Spire
Summoned monsters are generated with a duration between 1 and 6. This value roughly corresponds to the following amount in aut (arbitrary units of time; 10 aut = 1 "turn"):
- 90 aut
- 180 aut
- 270 aut
- 360 aut
- 810 aut
- 1710 aut
Some Summonings spells have a fixed duration. The other spells will increase monster duration with spell power.
Most Summonings spells also have a cap on how many monsters of that type you can sustain at any one time. Exceeding that cap by casting the spell too often will cause the oldest monsters to time out almost immediately.
|Spell||Level||Duration Type||Duration||Summoning Cap|
|Summon Small Mammal||1||Fixed||3||2|
|Call Canine Familiar||3||Spellpower||2-6||1|
|Summon Guardian Golem||3||Fixed||3||1|
|Summon Ice Beast||4||Spellpower||2-4||1|
|Summon Lightning Spire||4||Fixed||2||1|
|Summon Forest||5||Fixed||1||No Limit**|
|Summon Mana Viper||5||Fixed||2||1|
|Tukima's Dance*||5||Spellpower||2-6||No Limit|
|Death Channel*||6||Fixed||5||No Limit|
|Summon Cactus Giant||6||Fixed||3||1|
|Summon Horrible Things||8||Fixed||3||8|
|Dragon's Call||9||Fixed||2||No Limit|
* - Not a Summonings spell, but operates similarly. ** - Can't cast again until duration has expired. *** - Only one Malign Gateway can exist in the dungeon at time, regardless of who created it.
These non-standard methods for summoning allies have no cap on the number of units you can have out at once, but their costs are often prohibitive:
- Source : Duration
- Brothers in Arms : 2-6
- Summon Divine Warrior : 2-6
- Elemental Force: 1
- Scroll of summoning : Monster's HD dependent
- Prior to 0.28, summons reduced your xp gain, but most summoning spells had much higher summon limits. Shadow Creatures is removed as a player castable spell, with a new level 6 spell Summon Cactus Giant.
- In 0.27, Summon Demon and Summon Greater Demon were removed from player casting (Makhleb can still summon demons).
- In 0.26, the last two utility spells were removed from this magic school: Aura of Abjuration and Recall.
- In 0.25, Summonings miscasts produce nameless horrors. Monsters summoned by the player dismiss if the player harms them or they would become hostile for some other reason, rather than attacking the player. Also, summoned monsters can get the inner flame status from the spell and the scroll of immolation.
- Prior to 0.18, warding provided partial protection from melee and ranged attacks of summoned creatures.
- Prior to 0.14, summoned creatures could exist even after their summoner was defeated, leading to much more cautious behavior around certain enemy summoners. Many enemy summoners were also much more fragile and were not subject to the same summoning caps as players. 0.14 also massively overhauled the Summonings spell list; Summon Lightning Spire, Summon Guardian Golem, Summon Forest, Summon Mana Viper, Monstrous Menagerie, Aura of Abjuration, Forceful Dismissal, and Spellforged Servitor were all added, replacing Summon Scorpions, Summon Ugly Thing, Mass Abjuration, Demonic Horde, and Summon Dragon.
- Prior to 0.13, Summonings spells had no limit on how many monsters you could summon at a time, barring MP restrictions. This led to players summoning hordes of monsters at all times, rendering them nearly untouchable by most monsters and leading to extremely dull optimal gameplay.
- Prior to 0.12, summoned monsters could attack monsters outside of the player's line of sight, and you could not recall flying monsters over lava or deep water.
|Melee||Short Blades • Long Blades • Axes • Maces & Flails • Polearms • Staves • Unarmed Combat|
|Ranged||Bows • Crossbows • Throwing • Slings|
|Physical||Fighting • Armour • Dodging • Stealth • Shields|
|Magical||Spellcasting • Invocations • Evocations|
|Spell Schools||Air • Conjurations • Earth • Fire • Hexes • Ice • Necromancy • Poison • Summoning • Translocations • Transmutations|