From CrawlWiki
Jump to: navigation, search
Version 0.30: This article may not be up to date for the latest stable release of Crawl.
Psyche @Psyche.png
HP 26-54
HD 5
XP 428
Speed 13
AC 2
EV 12
Will 60
Attack1 7 (hit: plain)

Resistances None
Vulnerabilities None
Habitat Land
Intelligence Human
Uses Weapons & armour
Starting equipment
Open doors
Holiness Natural
Size Medium
Type human, human
Flags Speaks
A fair-haired mage, wandering and seemingly half-mad with grief and guilt.

“Let Psyche’s corpse be clad in mourning weed
And set on rock of yonder hill aloft;
Her husband is no wight of human seed,
But serpent dire and fierce, as may be thought,
Who flies with wings above in starry skies,
And doth subdue each thing with fiery flight.
The Gods themselves and powers that seem so wise
With mighty love be subject to his might.
The rivers black and deadly floods of pain
And darkness eke as thrall to him remain.”
-Apuleius, _Asinus aureus_, “Cupid and Psyche”. circa. 160 AD.
trans. William Adlington, 1566.

Useful Info

Psyche the Insane Magess is a fast-moving unique mage. Her Chain of Chaos spell can cause paralysis or banish you to the Abyss, making her deadly. She also spawns with either a chaos (75% odds) or distortion (25%) dagger, which can do the same things in melee.



Spell set I
Slot1 Cantrip Wizard flag
Slot2 Polymorph Wizard flag
Slot3 Chain of Chaos Wizard flag
Slot4 Invisibility Wizard flag

Tips & Tricks

  • Avoid her if at all possible. She's fast, so you can't just run away. Every time you are hit by Chain of Chaos, you'll have a 1% chance to be paralysed and 1% chance to be banished; both effects can lead to unavoidable death. Skipping a floor that has Psyche is often worth it.
    • Unfortunately, she can spawn on the floors that Lair or Orc are on. If you decide to skip the floor, a scroll of magic mapping can scout out any branch entrances you'd be missing.
    • Assuming you don't have amazing willpower, chaos is less likely to banish you than Erolcha or wizards, and less likely to paralyse you than ogre mages. If you find these kinds of threats (and are forced to fight one of them), Psyche is probably the lesser of two evils.
  • She has low HD, so Mephitic Cloud is particularly effective.


Psyche is a character from the Greek myth of Eros and Psyche. In this myth, Psyche was a girl who fell in love with the god of desire, Eros, but needed to complete several impossible tasks before his mother Aphrodite would allow them to be wed.