Negative energy is one of the most common elemental forces you will encounter as you explore the Dungeon. Both players and monsters can take advantage of negative energy through spells or specially branded weapons, though some monsters also possess innate negative energy abilities.
Negative Energy Sources
The effects of negative energy are far more complicated than most other elemental types, simply because each source functions in a very different way.
- The pain brand and Pain spell simply deal damage to the target.
- Bolt of Draining, the draining brand, and other draining attacks deal damage and also inflict the drain status.
- Vampiricism only steals HP if the target does not resist negative energy.
- Torment and Agony cut the target's current HP in half, with rN reducing the former far less than usual. See the torment article for more details.
The Necromancy school offers an extremely diverse variety of uses, such as healing, direct damage, and undead creation/destruction.
Any character that worships a good god should avoid using negative energy, as these gods are offended by it.
Negative Energy Resistance
The negative energy resistance intrinsic (also known as life protection, rN+, or rNeg+) reduces or completely negates the effects of negative energy attacks you receive. Those attacks and effects which aren't fully negated with a single rank are reduced by 50% at rN+, 75% at rN++, and 100% at rN+++. All sources of negative energy resistance stack:
- Pearl dragon armour: rN+
- Armour of positive energy: rN+
- Staff of death: rN+
- Ring of positive energy: rN+
- Tiamat's dragonskin cloak: 50% chance per attack of rN+
- Randarts: rN+, rN++, or rN+++, random
- Gargoyle and Statue Form: rN+
- Necromutation: rN+++
- Playing a Ghoul, Mummy, or bloodless Vampire: rN+++
- Worshiping the Shining One: rN+ to rN+++, rises with piety
- MONSTERS ONLY: Monsters that are not natural or plant are immune to negative energy. None naturally possess partial negative energy resistance, although they may gain it by wearing items that grant it.
- Prior to 0.28, plant monsters and forms had rN+++.
- Prior to 0.27 the first rank of the Black Mark demonspawn mutation provided rN+.
- Prior to 0.26 draining lowered your skills instead of your maximum HP.
- Prior to 0.13, draining attacks had no effect on your skills. Instead, they would permanently reduce your experience, potentially forcing you to lose levels. Also, ranks of negative energy resistance were somewhat less effective at reducing damage (33%/66%/100%). Finally, several bugs related to the implementation of rN+ for monsters were fixed.