| A rare breed of ogre, skilled in the use of magic. It usually becomes a chieftain among its kin.
“The little princess, asleep in her cradle, floated on the water, and at last she was cast up on the shore of a beautiful country, where, however, very few people dwelt since the ogre Ravagio and his wife Tourmentine had gone to live there-for they ate up everybody. Ogres are terrible people. When once they have tasted raw human flesh they will hardly eat anything else, and Tourmentine always knew how to make some body come their way, for she was half a fairy.”
Ogre magi are every bit as strong as regular ogres, but possess magic on par with much more magically attuned species. They lead packs of ogres and two-headed ogres, hasting them or pelting you with powerful Conjurations from a distance. Depending on which spell set they generate, they may even be able to paralyse players with low willpower. They can be found in the later portions of the Dungeon and the Orcish Mines, and all throughout the Depths and the Vaults.
Tips & Tricks
- By the time you encounter ogre magi, their mundane allies shouldn't pose that much threat. While you'll want to avoid letting half a dozen hasted ogres beat on you with giant spiked clubs, you should still focus on taking the mage out as quickly as possible. They don't have too much spell power behind their spells, but paralysis and Bolt of Magma are never laughing matters.
- If you know Mephitic Cloud, repeated castings will allow you to confuse the ogre band, causing them to kill each other for you. Even so, if you have access to spells that deal heavy damage to multiple enemies, these will get the job done much faster and more reliably.
- Prior to 0.27, ogre magi could have one of three possible spell sets:
- Prior to 0.19, they could cast Banishment, Iskenderun's Mystic Blast, Minor Healing, Sting, Throw Flame, Fireball, and Teleport Other. Also, ogre magi had five spell sets instead of three.
- Prior to 0.17, ogre magi could cast Teleport Self.