|Source(s)||Book of Changes|
Book of Dreams
|Flags||Chaotic, Helpful, Utility|
| Transforms the caster into a venomous, spider-like creature. The caster becomes highly evasive and gains a poisonous bite, but gains vulnerability to poison.
While transformed, any equipped weapons and armour are melded, and casting spells becomes slightly more difficult.
Spider Form is a level 3 Poison/Transmutation spell that transforms the user into a spider-like creature.
Transmuters start with this spell available.
This transformation grants the following:
- A venom-branded unarmed attack with base damage 5 and a to hit bonus
- A +5 bonus to dexterity
- Tiny size (improves EV)
- Immunity to webs
- Melds all equipment except jewellery
- Cannot throw weapons
- Natural AC is 2
- -10% to spell success
- Vulnerability to poison.
- Can be negated with a source of poison resistance; but even with multiple sources of rPois, you won't resist it.
- Players immune to poison retain their immunity.
The duration of the transformation is
8 + 2d<power> turns, capped at 60.
Mummies and ghouls cannot memorize this spell. Vampires can memorize this spell, but cannot cast it if they are bloodless.
This spell is quite useful for low-level Transmuters, as it is fairly easy to cast. Players already into Transmutations can put 1 or 2 levels in Poison Magic to get this spell running. Spider Form gives a boost in evasion, and a minor buff in unarmed combat. What's important is the poison; it deals big damage, and few enemies in the early dungeon are resistant to it. Once enemies are extremely poisoned (3 poison drops in Tiles), you can start backing off, letting toxins do their work.
The evasion bonus is helpful, but be aware that when monsters do manage to land a hit, you'll have very low AC to reduce it. Octopode and felid transmuters won't have to worry about the AC reduction, as their natural AC is already extremely low.
Be careful about using this spell around enemies with poisonous attacks, as you'll be vulnerable to poison, unless you've found a source of rPois. For poisonous enemies, consider upgrading to Ice Form -- if you can afford to train it. Other hazards to watch out for are high-accuracy effects, such as Fireball or Airstrike.
Finally, Spider Form starts to become weak during the Lair rune branches, and often well before. Three of the branches feature poison as a major threat, and the other features silver weaponry, which deals extra damage against transmutated players. In addition, venom loses its relative potency, and the lack of AC or SH becomes very noticeable.
- Prior to 0.28, Spider Form had a power cap of 200.
- Prior to 0.22, Spider Form prevented usage of wands.
- Prior to 0.20, followers of the Shining One incurred penance if they poisoned sentient, non-evil monsters.
- Prior to 0.19, Spider Form gave a large stealth bonus.
- Prior to 0.15, Spider Form provided above-average speed and the ability to cling to walls.
- ↑ form-data.h:78 (0.28.0)
|Transmutations|| Beastly Appendage • Blade Hands|
Spider Form • Ice Form • Statue Form • Dragon Form • Storm Form • Lich Form
|Bad Forms||Bat Form • Fungus Form • Pig Form • Tree Form • Wisp Form|