Difference between revisions of "Inner Flame"
(updated to 0.16, not changed)
|Line 1:||Line 1:|
Revision as of 18:54, 15 October 2015
|This spell fills an enemy with an intense fire, to be explosively released upon death. The size of the explosion caused is dependent on the size of the target.|
Inner Flame is a level 3 Hexes/Fire Magic spell which gives a monster the Inner Flame status effect for 25 to 35 turns. The target may negate the spell if you cannot overcome its magic resistance, and it never works on summoned monsters. If the target of this spell was a non-mindless friendly creature, it will immediately turn hostile. On death, the victim will explode like a Fireball, dealing heavy fire damage to all adjacent squares and leaving clouds of fire. The amount of damage and radius of the explosion is dependent on the monster's size:
- Tiny monsters have a radius 1 explosion and deal 3d15 damage.
- Little through big monsters (i.e. most creatures in the game) have a radius 1 explosion and deal 3d20 damage.
- Giant and Huge monsters have a radius 2 explosion and deal 3d25 damage.
Used correctly, you can deal tremendous damage to multiple enemies early in the game with Inner Flame. Used incorrectly, you'll probably blow yourself to bits.
- Obviously, the best way to avoid blowing yourself up is to kill the afflicted monster from a distance. Fire Elementalists can use their spells, and Arcane Marksmen can use their ranged weapon. Other classes can make use of similar methods; even an attack wand will do in a pinch, if you use Inner Flame on a weakened foe.
- Maxed-out fire resistance will reduce the damage you take from a badly-timed kill, allowing you to survive things blowing up in your face.
- If the target is behind some other creatures, make use of smite-targeted attacks (such as Portal Projectile) or one of the various piercing attacks (missiles of penetration or Bolt spells -- again, attack wands come in handy here).
- Inner Flame works best when used on a member of a group of monsters, such as a band of orcs, swarm of killer bees, or herd of yaks. You can also use it against strong, solitary enemies like a unique or player ghost if something weak (like a goblin or bat) wanders by during a fight.
- Activating Inner Flame in an open space gives the explosion room to hit the most other creatures. Alternatively, set it off in a corridor to kill off the front line and create a wall of flames to block the rear guard from reaching you.
- When your god doesn't mind you injuring your own allies, feel free to use this spell on your undead or enslaved minions and send them in to kamikaze your opponents.
Prior to 0.13, allied animals could be affected without turning hostile.