|Arcane Marksmen are Hunters who use debilitating spells to assist their ranged attacks. They are particularly good at keeping their enemies at a distance. They begin the game with a ranged weapon of their choice, some spells to support its use, a scroll of poison to keep foes at a distance, and a robe.|
Arcane Marksmen are ranged combat specialists who complement their attacks with debilitating Hexes.
Formicid, Deep Elf, Kobold, Spriggan, and Gnoll are the recommended species if you pick an Arcane Marksman Background.
Felids are forbidden from becoming Arcane Markscats, as they cannot use ranged weapons.
Some species may receive different items based on their unique restrictions.
- +1 sling
- +0 robe
- Scroll of poison
Arcane Marksmen start with the Slow spell memorised.
Starting Skills and Stats
These are adjusted by your species' aptitudes.
- Fighting: 1
- Ranged Weapons: 2
- Dodging: 2
- Spellcasting: 1
- Hexes: 3
Choosing Arcane Marksman adds 2 to your starting Strength, 5 to your starting Intelligence and 5 to your starting Dexterity.
Arcane Marksmen are fragile, split between Ranged Weapons, Hexes, and defensive skills. Focus on weapon skill first, using Slow as a supplement.
Slow everything you don't clearly overpower, regardless of whether you're shooting or going hand-to-hand. Slowing reduces monster speed by 33%, meaning you get hit 33% less often, and you can run away. It may sometimes take several castings to apply, but it enables a kiting strategy for things you can't melee safely.
Portal Projectile is perfect for sniping particularly dangerous monsters like orc priests, without having to first fight your way through all their friends. It greatly increases accuracy, though not a priority to train up.
Inner Flame can be tricky to pull off without blowing yourself up, but is very effective against groups. It combos well with the other two hexes: Slow gives you space to avoid the explosion, while Portal Projectile allows for creative sniping.
Cause Fear is both a great panic button and good offensive tool. It's an infinite use scroll of fear, which is about as powerful as it sounds... though the scroll has a much higher chance of success. It doesn't work on undead or demons, but is effective in the Lair and its non-Slime branches.
Look for Blink and Swiftness -- those are fantastic utilities for a ranged player throughout the entire game. Eventually, you'll also want to be able to cast other utility spells like Metabolic Englaciation or Leda's Liquefaction. You'll likely have a lot of experience left over, so pour it into Fighting, Armour/Dodging, and Stealth.
- In 0.30, Arcane Marksman will be renamed into Hexslinger (Hs).
- Prior to 0.29, Arcane Marksmen started with a choice of hunting sling, hand crossbow, shortbow, or throwing weapons. Launchers were +0 and started with 20 of their respective ammo, which they had to worry about. Throwing started with 6 javelins (adjusted for species) and 2 throwing nets.
- This version gave almost all backgrounds a consumable: AM now starts with a scroll of poison.
- Prior to 0.28, Arcane Marksmen started with the Corona spell memorized. Slow was moved down to level 1 to compensate.
- Prior to 0.27, Arcane Marksmen had the Book of Debilitation, and started with Leda's Liquefaction.
- Prior to 0.20, the book of Debilitation had Gell's Gravitas instead of Portal Projectile.
- Prior to 0.17, teleport control combined with the blink spell allowed for semi-controlled blinks which was super useful for kiting even fast enemies.
- Prior to 0.15, Arcane Marksmen starting with javelins didn't get any throwing nets.
- Prior to 0.14, Arcane Marksmen started with 2 levels of Spellcasting.
- In earlier versions of the game, ammunition for launchers was much less common in the early game. This required careful ammo management until supplies were found deeper in the dungeon. In addition, AM started with spells that branded ammo, such as Poison Ammunition.
|Warriors||Fighter • Gladiator • Monk • Hunter • Brigand|
|Zealots||Berserker • Abyssal Knight • Chaos Knight • Cinder Acolyte|
|Warrior-mages||Enchanter • Transmuter • Arcane Marksman • Warper|
|Mages||Hedge Wizard • Conjurer • Summoner • Necromancer • Fire Elementalist • Ice Elementalist • Air Elementalist • Earth Elementalist • Venom Mage|
|Adventurers||Artificer • Wanderer • Delver|