Wand of mindburst
|A magical device which launches a psychic attack on a target creature. If it overcomes their willpower, it 'blows their mind' in a violently literal fashion, dealing damage that bypasses their armour entirely. It is useless against mindless creatures.|
A wand of mindburst deals significant chunks of untyped damage to a single monster, assuming it isn't mindless. This effect cannot be dodged or blocked, but it does have to overcome the target's willpower. This effect is significantly harder to resist than most other will-related wand effects, making it useful against a large variety of early- and mid-game opponents. A monster killed in this manner will explode, spraying blood splatters around the area without leaving a corpse (dragons are immune to this effect, and may or may not leave a corpse as normal). Followers of Gozag Ym Sagoz will receive a spray of single gold coins on several nearby tiles instead of a shower of blood.
A wand of mindburst can be particularly effective at taking out low-HD, high-threat monsters such as boggarts and Sonja. It is also extremely effective at killing low-level players. If an early opponent happens to have one on hand, you'll likely want to escape immediately; multiple zaps of a wand of mindburst can very quickly become lethal. However, monsters deal less damage with this wand.
- In 0.28, monsters now deal 67% damage with this wand. It was supposed to work this way since 0.4, but was broken due to a bug.
- Prior to 0.27, this wand was called the wand of disintegration. Also, it could affect mindless creatures.
- Prior to 0.20, it could disintegrate rock walls and obstacles in the dungeon (doors, iron grates, trees, orcish idols, and most kinds of statues).
- Prior to 0.15, orange crystal statues and silver statues could be destroyed instantly through use of a wand of disintegration.
- Prior to 0.6, zapped creatures were simply reduced to nothingness.
|Acid • Charming • Digging • Flame • Iceblast • Mindburst • Paralysis • Polymorph|