Amulet of guardian spirit
Version 0.29: This article is up to date for the latest stable release of Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup.
|An amulet containing a protective spirit which will cause any damage taken to be divided between the wearer's reserves of health and magic.|
Wearing an amulet of guardian spirit grants the spirit shield intrinsic. This links your HP and MP, causing all damage you take to be split proportionally between your HP and MP pools. Spirit shield has no impact on status effects (poison, sticky flame, flay).
Djinn have no MP, so are unaffected. Vine Stalkers and Demonspawn with the Mana Shield mutation innately have spirit shield, so gain no further benefit from wearing this amulet.
- This amulet is best suited for spellcasters and races with a very low HP-to-MP ratio, for whom it provides the greatest increase in survivability. While these characters will sometimes be reduced to low MP and be unable to cast spells or use certain abilities, this is better than being being dead. Think of Deep Elves and Felids, who can be one-shot by Lehudib's Crystal Spear and similar dangers.
- Ironically, berserkers and other characters with little use for MP don't really mind wearing this amulet. Without another useful amulet to wear, it's free max HP.
- If you plan to wear this amulet long-term, consider training your Spellcasting or Invocations to increase your mana pool and give you some additional durability. Training Spellcasting will grant you the most MP, but training Invocations may or may not be the more practical option, depending on your character specs, skill aptitudes, and/or choice of god.
- Remember to re-assess the priority for killing MP-draining monsters (such as ghost moths) while wearing this amulet, as their ability to drain your MP is often rapid and irresistible.
- Prior to 0.26, equipping this amulet drained all your MP, as it took only 0.5 turns to wear. Deep Dwarves still lose MP, though.
- Prior to 0.10, spirit shield would fully consume MP before you started losing health, making it less useful for casters.