Your character can gain various intrinsics, which are shown when you press %:
- Resistances to fire, cold, poison, electricity, corrosion and negative energy. These are all obtained from rings (except rElec) and particular dragon scales, and can all be found on artefact armour, weapons and jewellery. All except rN are given from a potion of resistance.
- Magic resistance stops you from being affected by enemy hexes, and can be found on rings and armours as well as artefacts and quicksilver dragon scales. All races gain some amount of innate MR, ranging from 3 MR per XL for most races to 7 MR per XL for spriggans - enough to make them immune to all hexes ("hostile enchantments") by XL 27 without any external equipment.
- Spirit shield means that external damage sources will subtract from both your MP and your HP. Once MP has been exhausted, you will suffer damage as normal. It is obtained from an amulet of guardian spirit, scarf or hat of spirit shield, amulet randarts and a few unrandarts.
- Rot resistance will protect you completely from any sources of rotting, including miasma clouds. It is obtained only by being under the effects of Necromutation or Statue Form, being an undead species (ghoul, mummy or thirsty vampire), Zin's Vitalisation, being a demonspawn with the foul stench mutation, being a vine stalker or being a gargoyle.
- See invisible means that you can see invisible monsters. It is obtained from several mutations: Acute Vision, Antennae 3, or Jiyva's eyeballs 3; being a worshiper of Ashenzari, from some randarts, or by wearing a ring of see invisible or a headgear of see invisible. Nagas, spriggans, vampires, and felids start with this intrinsic.
- Clarity means that you cannot be unwillingly confused, mesmerised or berserked. It is obtained as a mutation, being a worshiper of Ashenzari, or through a couple of specific unrandarts.
- Some mutations and artefact properties give other bad intrinsics: notably teleportitis or *Tele, -Tele (also intrinsic to formicids through stasis), berserkitis or *Rage and -Cast, which randomly teleport the player next to monsters from time to time, stop the player from translocating at all, give the player a chance to go berserk on every attack, and stop the player from casting spells, respectively.
- HP regeneration rate can be affected by higher max HP and the regeneration intrinsic, found as a mutation and a property found on amulets and artefacts. MP regeneration rate is similarly affected by higher max MP, but also from the amulet of magic regeneration and artefact amulets.
Over time, the available intrinsics has varied dramatically.
Prior to 0.18, rCorr was available through an amulet instead of a ring, and amulets of resist mutation, stasis, clarity and warding, which made these intrinsics not readily available (or in the case of warding completely unavailable). Rings of teleport control also existed, which gave the +cTele intrinsic allowing the player to evoke it for control teleports.