| Nagas are a hybrid species: Human from the waist up with a large snake tail instead of legs.
They are reasonably good at most things and advance in experience levels slightly slower than Humans. They are naturally resistant to poisons, can see invisible creatures, and have tough skin, but their tails are relatively slow and cannot move them around as quickly as can other creatures' legs (this only affects their movement rate; all other actions are at normal speed). Like Armataurs, their body shape also prevents them from gaining full protection from body armour. A Naga's biggest forte is stealth: Nagas are very good at moving unnoticed. Their tails eventually grow strong enough to constrict their foes in combat.
Nagas can spit poison; the accuracy and damage of this poison increases with the Naga's experience level.
- Nagas are hybrid creatures, with a snake-like lower body but medium torso:
- A Naga's serpentine skin is tough (Nagas gain additional AC as they grow).
- Spit Poison: Nagas can spit poison as an attack, with a cooldown.
- Poison Resistance: Nagas innately resist poison.
- Acute Vision: Nagas can see invisible.
- Slow 2: Nagas move very slowly.
- Zealots: Berserker
- Warrior-mages: Transmuter, Warper, Enchanter
- Mages: Hedge Wizard, Fire Elementalist, Ice Elementalist, Venom Mage
- +1 to a random stat every 4th level.
- 20% more HP than average.
- +5 willpower per level.
- +1 AC every third level
- Gain the ability to constrict foes at level 13.
Difficulty of Play
|Simple • Intermediate • Advanced|
Nagas are slow moving, which makes it impossible to escape most opponents by retreating. And, being large (low EV) and deformed (AC penalty), they have poor defenses. Scales and bardings will eventually boost your AC, but these don't kick in until later in the game. To get by the early game, make the most of your Poison Spit and Stealth. Don't be afraid to burn consumables against any dangerous encounter.
Once a Naga survives long enough to come into their own, however, they acquire an excellent array of useful perks, including: high HP / good AC, auxiliary constriction, and nice resistances (rPois, good willpower, see invisible). The slow movement speed will blight them the entire game, but survival becomes much less of a struggle.
The higher the value, the better the aptitude.
|Maces & Flails||0||Shields||-1||Summonings||0|
|Ranged Weapons||-1||Air Magic||0|
Despite their slow speed and large size, Nagas have a +5 Stealth aptitude, the highest in the game (outside of Gnolls). Use it. Stealth is quite useful - if not required - in order to avoid fights with dangerous enemies like orc priests or ogres.
They can use Stealth offensively, but it's risky. It's not because they are spotted more often - each tile moved has the same detection chance, no matter how fast you move. It's because slow speed makes retreating (from a failed stab attempt) difficult. For many Nagas, high stealth is more of an avoidance tool than an offensive one.
Tips & Tricks
- Many Transformations will negate the Slow 2 mutation, causing nagas to move at normal speed. Naga Transmuters can use Spider Form or Ice Form to get rid of the slow. Remember that this comes with the same costs and benefits as the form itself, and that spells take a turn to cast.
- Tasonir's Melee Naga Guide (0.18)
- Prior to 0.30, Nagas were less encumbered by shields, and moved slowly in shallow water, like the other large species.
- Prior to 0.29, Nagas had a -2 Shields aptitude. This was buffed due to the nerf to large-size shield wearing in 0.28.
- Prior to 0.26, Nagas had Slow Metabolism.
- Prior to 0.17, Nagas did not have innate slow metabolism, but slow movement caused less hunger per aut than normal-speed movement.
- In 0.12, the global hidden Stealth XP buff (80% XP cost) was removed; Nagas were the only species to not get their aptitude raised in compensation.
- In 0.10 only, Nagas had Constriction from level 1. They also gained constriction this version.
|Simple||Hill Orc • Minotaur • Merfolk • Gargoyle • Armataur • Draconian • Troll • Ghoul • Gnoll|
|Intermediate||Human • Kobold • Demonspawn • Djinni • Spriggan • Tengu • Deep Elf • Ogre • Barachi|
|Advanced||Vine Stalker • Vampire • Demigod • Formicid • Naga • Octopode • Felid • Meteoran • Mummy|