Version 0.29: This article is up to date for the latest stable release of Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup.
This page is about the Shield stat. For shields in general, see Shields. For the player skill, see Shields (skill).
SH is one of your three physical defenses, along with AC and EV. It allows you to completely negate physical attacks (both melee and ranged) and some magical attacks. Unlike AC and EV, you have no innate SH score. SH gained from wearing a physical shield is governed by the Shields skill; magical shields are unaffected.
The following items/abilities can increase your Shield stat:
- Wearing a shield; bucklers, kite shields, and tower shields, in ascending order of effectiveness and cumbrousness
- Wearing an amulet of reflection or Brooch of Shielding
- Having the Large Bone Plates mutation
- Using The Shining One's Divine Shield
- Having enough piety for Qazlal Stormbringer's Storm Shield
For more details, see the Shields page.