Wand of mindburst
|A magical device which launches a psychic attack on a target creature. If it overcomes their willpower, it 'blows their mind' in a violently literal fashion, dealing damage that bypasses their armour entirely. It is useless against mindless creatures.|
A wand of mindburst deals significant chunks of untyped damage to a single monster, assuming it isn't mindless. This effect must overcome the target's willpower, but it ignores AC and always hits. Mindburst is significantly harder to resist than other willpower-related wand effects, making it useful against a large variety of early- and mid-game opponents.
- This wand can be particularly effective at taking out low-HD, high-threat monsters such as boggarts and Sonja.
- Mindburst is also effective at killing low-level players. If an early opponent happens to have one on hand, you'll likely want to escape immediately; multiple zaps of a wand of mindburst can very quickly become lethal.
A monster killed in this manner will explode, spraying blood splatters around the area without leaving a corpse (dragons are immune to this effect, and may or may not leave a corpse as normal). Followers of Gozag Ym Sagoz will receive a spray of single gold coins on several nearby tiles instead of a shower of blood.
- In 0.29, monsters no longer deal 67% damage with this wand, but mindburst's damage formula (when used by monsters) was changed instead. Damage from the wand is slightly higher than in 0.28.
- In 0.28, monsters do 67% damage with this wand. It was supposed to work this way since 0.4, but was broken due to a bug.
- Prior to 0.27, this wand was called the wand of disintegration. Also, it could affect mindless creatures.
- Prior to 0.20, it could disintegrate rock walls and obstacles in the dungeon (doors, iron grates, trees, orcish idols, and most kinds of statues).
- Prior to 0.15, orange crystal statues and silver statues could be destroyed instantly through use of a wand of disintegration.
- Prior to 0.6, zapped creatures were simply reduced to nothingness.
| Acid / Light / Quicksilver • Iceblast / Roots • Charming / Paralysis|
Digging • Flame • Mindburst • Polymorph