Gozag Ym Sagoz
| Gozag Ym Sagoz the Greedy teaches that the world belongs to the rich. Those accepting this principle may exchange their gold for divine assistance. Followers of Gozag do not earn piety; the only way to impress this god is by amassing a fortune, and worshippers may request as much assistance as they can afford. Fortunately, Gozag's worshippers are said to have the touch of gold.
For Gozag, both flesh and spirit are inferior to wealth, and therefore all monsters are turned to gold upon death. Other monsters may then be briefly distracted by imaginings of great wealth. Stalwarts can purchase immediate help in the form of potions, and may also pay to attract shopkeepers into the dungeon. Particularly well-off adherents may bribe the inhabitants of a branch of the dungeon to turn a blind eye to their presence, or even to change their allegiance.
Gozag likes it when you collect gold.
Gozag's powers are not affected by the Invocations skill.
Demigods may not worship Gozag Ym Sagoz or any other deity.
Gozag requires a service fee for joining; this starts at 0 gold and rises with the amount of gold generated in the game:
Service fee = (Generated gold - Generated gold/log10(Generated gold+10))/2
Characters without enough gold receive the message, "Gozag does not accept service from beggars like you!"
Gozag Ym Sagoz is a reasonable businessgod, and does not allow personal feelings to affect its behavior one way or another. All interactions with Gozag Ym Sagoz revolve purely around gold. This also means that amulets of faith have no effect, since Gozag doesn't care about piety.
As Gozag Ym Sagoz has no piety system, all divine abilities are available upon joining. Players are notified when they have gathered enough gold to use the next given ability.
- Golden touch: Defeated enemies turn into piles of gold (the amount of gold varies; bigger, stronger monsters tend to generate more), but never leave corpses. Gold piles on the ground have a chance to distract monsters, causing brief confusion. Each pile provides a 3% chance per turn to distract, stacking to a maximum of 30%. (Passive)
- Detect Gold: You map the location of all gold on the floor. (Passive)
- Potion Petition: Purchase one set of potion effects. You immediately get the effects of one of three sets of potions, each containing 1-6 random, different potions. Sets containing more and/or better potions are more expensive to purchase. Once you activate the ability, you must choose and pay for one of the sets. You need to have at least 400 gold to be able to use Potion Petition. If your species cannot be hasted or go berserk, Gozag will not offer hasting or berserk effects.
- Call Merchant: Fund a merchant to set up a new shop. You choose one out of three different Merchants with different shop types. The first use of Call Merchant costs at most 800 gold for the best shop, increasing by 200 gold per use (though most shops are actually much cheaper). The chosen shop is placed at your feet. Shops will never be completely useless to your character. For example, a Felid will never be offered Armour or Weapon shops.
- Bribe Branch: Send money to the inhabitants of a branch to turn them temporarily neutral or incite them to join you. Unique Hell and Pan lords are unaffected. (3000 Gold)
- You must be in the branch (or standing on the entrance) to use this ability. Adds 3000 gold to this branch's bribe fund. The branch must house intelligent monsters (so Spider's Nest and Swamp cannot be affected).
- Monsters have a chance based on their HD (stronger monsters have a higher chance) to either become peaceful (for some gold from the bribe fund) or become your permanent allies (for more gold from the fund). The chance is rolled when they first notice you.
- Allied monsters take from the fund when fighting, but not over time.
- Attacking one of these pacified monsters result in turning all pacified monsters in sight hostile.
- This power can be incredibly useful in branches with dangerous enemies. Having a few Orbs of fire or Ancient liches on your side can make a big difference.
| Gozag does not appreciate abandonment, and will call down fearful punishments on disloyal followers!
The first of Gozag's punishments is commercial: all shops opened through Gozag's intervention shut their doors forever. The disloyal are advised to finish their shopping before they launch their betrayal. For as long as Gozag remains angered, potions will have a chance to fail when quaffed, and any foes that are encountered may be granted potions of their own to assist them against the ex-worshipper.
Gozag's wrath lasts for a relatively long duration.
Upon leaving Gozag Ym Sagoz, any funded stores close, as they are unable to pay their debts without your funds. Any bribed monsters turn hostile. In addition:
- Petition for your drink to fail: When quaffing potions, there is a high chance that you will lose a turn (but not the potion).
- Incite: Permanently buffs an enemy with a potion effect.
Gozag's most obvious drawback, the lack of corpses, is noticeable for characters who rely on Necromancy spells. It will be much more difficult to get dragon scales since dragons won't leave corpses. Dancing weapons turn to gold too, so don't bother with the Hall of Blades. On the other hand, funding item shops can quickly result in a Gozag worshipper having much better gear and more consumables throughout the game than usual. Like any regular shop, they're not guaranteed to have anything useful for the player to purchase.
Regardless, it is recommended to keep more than a few uses of Potion Petition; more likely to be effective than potion shops. Getting haste, might, heal wounds, and/or invisibility in a single turn is incredibly strong, able to get you out of many situations throughout the game. And compared to the amount of gold killing monsters gives you, the petition is quite cheap.
However, Potion Petition not the best emergency button; it might not provide the potion effect (combination) you need right this instant, and most potion effects are not immediate escapes. Therefore, the key with Gozag (and most other resources in the game) is to plan ahead; when in a dangerous, unbribed area like a rune vault, or even just facing a bunch of scary enemies, use your resources before it's too late.
Bribe Branch is the epitomy of this mentality. Few things simplify the Realm of Zot like an allied orb of fire, and just about every vulnerable branch can have their difficulty reduced by your swarm of allies. Other than the bribe running out, the one weakness is that it won't work against monsters you've seen. If your bribery fund begins to run low, you can put an extra 3000 gold towards it by using the ability again. This can be used to ensure the final floor of a branch is fully bribed. Similarly, you can bribe the Dungeon, Depths, and the Realm of Zot ahead of time to simplify the orb run, once you've cleared the monsters guarding the Orb of Zot.
Gold distraction is a useful ability throughout the game, but it has an exaggerated effect in Ziggurats; the massive amounts of gold will keep even a floor filled with silencing pandemonium lords unable to do anything. In addition, Potion Petition will consistently give players various buffs (especially haste), even for mummies or lich form players.
You still keep any gold and items acquired from Gozag's patronage, even after abandonment. Should you be reckless enough to abandon Gozag, consider clearing the Crypt right afterwards, as undead monsters are incapable of going berserk, which is easily the most dangerous effect of Gozag’s wrath.
- Prior to 0.28, Gozag's gold aura was more complex; it did not have a hard cap, but instead, each gold reduced the next pile's chance to distract.
- Prior to 0.26, Gozag offered one free potion petition on worship. Gozag worshippers also had to deal with comestibles; corpses were edible, but gold isn't. While not often an issue, certain species, namely trolls, suffered. Call Merchant would always provide a food shop (along with the three other choices) when used.
- Prior to 0.22, Bribe Branch would work on summons.
- Prior to 0.21, Gozag could offer haste or berserk via potion petition to species that couldn't be hasted or go berserk.
- Several aspects of Gozag were different prior to 0.17:
- Service fee was higher.
- Gold distraction was centered on the generated gold, rather than the player.
- The cost of Potion Petition increased with use.
- Only monsters that normally left corpses dropped gold.
- Bribes only worked on humanoid and demonic enemies.
- Call Merchant placed shops on unexplored floors in Dungeon, Depths, Vaults, and only at your feet when those branches were fully explored.
- Gozag Ym Sagoz was added in 0.16.
|Good||Elyvilon • Zin • The Shining One|
|Neutral||Ashenzari • Cheibriados • Fedhas Madash • Gozag Ym Sagoz • Hepliaklqana • Ignis • Nemelex Xobeh • Okawaru • Qazlal • Ru • Sif Muna • Trog • Uskayaw • Vehumet • Wu Jian|
|Chaotic||Jiyva • Xom|
|Evil|| Beogh • Dithmenos • Kikubaaqudgha • Lugonu * • Makhleb * • Yredelemnul|
* Chaotic & Evil