| A malevolent and dangerous little sprite. The shadowy illusions it summons may not be real, but they'll kill you all the same, if you don't get their master first.
“He thinks every bush a boggart.”
Boggarts are weak, fragile pack creatures who rely on their mastery of illusions to destroy their enemies. Although next to harmless themselves, boggarts will quickly turn invisible and begin casting Shadow Creatures when enemies appear, flooding the screen with powerful, deadly opponents. They can be found primarily in the Depths and the Vaults, though they may appear elsewhere (such as in the forest at the end of the Lair).
Tips & Tricks
- When you first encounter a boggart, expect to see others nearby as they almost always travel in a pack. Multiple boggarts can quickly turn a perfectly safe room into an overwhelmingly dangerous fight with the promise of further reinforcements as soon as you make a dent in their summons. As such, never attempt to fight your way through a boggart's summons, and always make killing them quickly a high priority. They're fairly fragile, rarely needing more than two decent hits to kill, and as soon as a boggart dies, its summons will vanish.
- Having a source of see invisible makes invisible boggart hunting much easier.
- Boggarts have only moderate magic resistance. Someone with a bit of Evocations or Hexes training should be able to paralyze, polymorph, confuse, or otherwise disable a boggart with to prevent them from summoning. However, killing them outright is usually the faster approach.
- Casters with area-of-effect spells like Olgreb's Toxic Radiance, Fireball, or Freezing Cloud should try to clear boggarts out quickly. Others can make use of attack wands, such as acid, iceblast, or clouds. They have low health and poor MR, so a wand of disintegration with its long range is ideal.
- Once a boggart has started summoning, smite-targeted attacks are ideal for taking it out without having to fight through an army. Spells like Portal Projectile, Borgnjor's Vile Clutch, and Airstrike or invocations such as Qazlal's Upheaval or Beogh's Smite are all good examples. For those without such tactics and without easy access to area-of-effect or piercing attacks, duck around a corner if possible so you only see a few creatures at a time. Eventually, the boggart will wander into melee range.
- If you simply don't have the means to safely take care of boggarts after they've called up an army, run or even teleport away. Their summons will eventually despawn, giving you another shot at killing them.
- If you open a door and suddenly find yourself face-to-face with several boggarts, close it. They'll walk up to the door and open it instead of immediately summoning monsters, meaning at the very least you'll be able to close to melee range more quickly.