Wand of random effects
| A magical device which can produce a variety of effects.
“[The principle of selection] is the magician’s wand, by means of which he may summon into life whatever form and mould he pleases.”
-William Youatt, _Sheep: their breeds, management, and diseases; to which is added the Mountain Shepherd's Manual_, ch. III. 1837.
|bolt of draining|
|Total damaging effects||6/13|
|Total harmful effects||4/13|
|Total buff effects||2/13|
A wand of random effects creates an unpredictable effect when zapped. There is a high probability of yielding a damaging or at least harmful effect, but its use in combat is risky. Although you might wind up blasting an enemy for heavy damage, you must decide if it's worth the risk of hasting or rendering your opponent invisible instead. Each of the effects has an equal chance of being selected.
Tips & Tricks
- Using a wand of random effects may risk penance, depending on your god's restrictions: all of the good gods punish draining, Zin punishes mutating, Cheibriados punishes haste.
- In 0.21, malmutate was added to the random effects to discourage using the wand as a source of haste and invisibility in the late game.
- It was completely reworked in 0.20 to the present list of effects, minus malmutate.
- Some wands were removed in 0.18, though the wand of random effects kept a few of the removed ones. As a result the chance to deal direct damage with a wand of random effects dropped by about 11%. Digging was also removed at this time.
- Prior to 0.14, gods would forgive the player for disliked effects produced by evoking an already identified wand of random effects.
|Acid • Clouds • Digging • Disintegration • Enslavement • Flame • Iceblast • Paralysis • Polymorph • Random effects • Scattershot|