|Hated By|| Elyvilon|
The Shining One
| Transforms the caster into a lich — a powerful skeletal figure. The caster becomes stronger-willed, more resistant to cold and completely immune to poison, miasma, negative energy, and torment for the duration of the spell. The caster's necromancy spells are increased in power, and they gain a draining melee attack. The caster also gains some of the more dubious benefits of having an undead body, such as a vulnerability to holy damage and Dispel Undead, and an inability to consume potions.
“Don’t sing if you want to live long
Necromutation is a level 8 Transmutations/Necromancy spell which transforms the caster into a lich. This state is often referred to by Crawl players as lichform. A higher spell power boosts the duration of the spell.
Under the effects of Necromutation, the caster becomes undead, gaining the following:
- +6 AC
- Immunity to negative energy and torment
- Immunity to poison and miasma
- Immunity to sickness
- Immunity to mutation
- Draining branded unarmed attacks
- A spell enhancer for Necromancy
- Cannot quaff potions
- Vulnerability to Dispel Undead, scroll of holy word, and weapons of holy wrath
- Cannot cast spells that require you to be alive (eg Sublimation of Blood, Borgnjor's Revivification, Death's Door)
- Cannot wield holy weapons
- Mutations instead cause stat deterioration. This might be beneficial if used as a defense against bad mutations, but situations where mutations are frequent may cause stat zero.
Having this spell is a game-changer in late-game areas rife with effects that do not affect the undead, such as torment, negative energy, and mutations. The Hells, Pandemonium, and the Tomb in particular are good places to be a lich, as any place with Malmutators. Unlike naturally undead species, you can also go back to the world of the living to deal with foes that use Dispel Undead or holy damage.
The Necromancy boost is useful, but unfortunately the most powerful Necromancy spells (Borgnjor's Revivification and Death's Door) are unusable while undead. The other boosts like AC are too minor to justify training this spell in an ordinary 3-rune game, and it's still quite the skill cost for the extended game.
Tips and Tricks
- Remember to recast Necromutation before it expires, as the spell will take advantage of its own Necromancy enhancer and last longer.
- Note that casting this spell while worshiping a good god will cause you to be immediately excommunicated.
Users of this spell may want to add this to their rcfile:
runrest_ignore_message -= transformation is almost over\.
This will stop autotravel if the spell is nearly over and allow you to recast it before it runs out.
- Prior to 0.26, lichform stopped your hunger clock.
- Prior to 0.24, Fedhas strongly disliked the use of this spell (penance).
- Prior to 0.13, the caster also received +3 strength and a bonus to stealth.
|Transmutations|| Beastly Appendage • Blade Hands|
Spider Form • Ice Form • Statue Form • Dragon Form • Storm Form • Lich Form
|Bad Forms||Bat Form • Fungus Form • Pig Form • Tree Form • Wisp Form|