The Vestibule of Hell
| The Vestibule of Hell is guarded by Geryon, along with various denizens of each of the hells themselves.
Portals to the Vestibule of Hell are found abundantly in the Depths.
This branch contains the entrances to the Iron City of Dis, Gehenna, Cocytus and Tartarus.
|Welcome to Hell! Please enjoy your stay.|
The Vestibule of Hell is the entrance to the four other branches of Hell. It is presided over by Geryon, the gatekeeper of Hell.
You'll find multiple portals to the Vestibule in the Depths. Its most noteworthy inhabitant is Geryon, a huge three-headed demon, but you'll also find flocks of demons and hell knights. These monsters guard the entrances to the four main branches of Hell:
- Cocytus, the frozen hell.
- The Iron City of Dis, the metallic hell.
- Gehenna, the fiery hell.
- Tartarus, the deathly hell.
Each of these four branches contains a rune of Zot.
- The Vestibule is generally safe to clear by the time you've finished exploring the Dungeon and cleared the middle branches (Elven Halls, the Vaults). You'll need high AC and EV along with whatever fire and cold resistance you can muster. Geryon himself is not that difficult to kill; he is not immune to poison, and if you can deal damage through opponents (Bolt spells, smite-targeted attacks), he doesn't take that much abuse before going down. Geryon will never follow you upstairs, so you'll have to face him in the Vestibule, but you can certainly stairdance his allies up a few at a time for safe disposal.
- Be aware that stairdancing can be dangerous, as Geryon's Hell beasts may trample you away from the stairs. If you have no means of outrunning them to a clear staircase up or controlled blinking back to the stairs, this may result in a quick death.
- Monsters with constriction attacks, such as tentacled monstrosity or anaconda skeletons, can prevent you from using the stairs too.
- A second unique monster, Murray the curse skull, may appear in some games while exploring the Vestibule. He can rapidly reduce you to very low HP if you lack torment resistance, and summons hordes of undead to bury you with. Don't be afraid to use a scroll of blinking to get away from him the moment you see him, as he can be hard to run from for normal-speed characters.
|4 Ice devil||2 Reaper||3 Soul eater|
|3 Sun demon||h Hell hog||p Hell knight|
|p Necromancer (monster)|
|s Demonic crawler||h Hell hound||4 Rust devil|
|2 Lorocyproca||r Hell rat||4 Red devil|
|2 Balrug||2 Blizzard demon|
|2 Cacodemon||2 Green death|
|Y Hellephant||2 Hellion|
|X Tentacled monstrosity||2 Tormentor|
Additionally, the entrances to Hell branches are guarded by monsters from these Hells:
- Cocytus: ice statues, water elementals, simulacrums, skeletons, and zombies.
- The Iron City of Dis: iron trolls, war gargoyles, iron golems and iron dragons.
- Gehenna: fire elementals, molten gargoyles.
- Tartarus: skeletal warriors, ancient champions, shadow dragons, liches, and shadow wraiths.
|& Geryon||z Murray|
Sumoned by Geryon
Prior to 0.14, it was necessary to kill Geryon and sound his horn to open up the entrances to the four main branches of Hell, and all portals to the Vestibule were closed when you picked up the Orb.