The Vestibule of Hell
| The Vestibule of Hell is guarded by Geryon, along with various denizens of each of the hells themselves.
Portals to the Vestibule of Hell are found abundantly in the Depths.
This branch contains the entrances to the Iron City of Dis, Gehenna, Cocytus and Tartarus.
|Welcome to Hell! Please enjoy your stay.|
You'll find multiple portals to the Vestibule in the Depths. Its most noteworthy inhabitant is Geryon, a huge three-headed demon, but you'll also find flocks of demons and hell knights. These monsters guard the entrances to the four main branches of Hell:
- Cocytus, the frozen hell.
- The Iron City of Dis, the metallic hell.
- Gehenna, the fiery hell.
- Tartarus, the deathly hell.
Each of these four branches contains a rune of Zot.
By the time your character is ready for the Depths, chances are that they can clear the Vestibule, too. Even if you don't plan on doing the rest of the extended game, the horn of Geryon can be useful to Evocations specialists.
Geryon himself is not too difficult to kill. It is Geryon with the rest of the Vestibule that's difficult to kill:
- Most walls within the Vestibule are made of rock. If you have a wand of digging, you can make a killhole and fight most of the enemies there.
- Geryon himself will never follow you outside of hell. You can bring other monsters up. However, stair dancing can be dangerous; Geryon can summon hell beasts, which can trample you off stairs.
- A second unique monster, Murray the curse skull, appears in 25% of games while exploring the Vestibule. He can rapidly reduce you to very low HP if you lack torment resistance, and summons hordes of undead to bury you with. Don't be afraid to use a scroll of blinking to get away from him the moment you see him, as he can be hard to run from for normal-speed characters.
|4 Ice devil||2 Reaper||3 Soul eater|
|3 Sun demon||h Hell hog||p Hell knight|
|p Necromancer (monster)|
|s Demonic crawler||h Hell hound||4 Rust devil|
|2 Lorocyproca||r Hell rat||4 Red devil|
|2 Balrug||2 Blizzard demon|
|2 Cacodemon||2 Green death|
|Y Hellephant||2 Hellion|
|X Tentacled monstrosity||2 Tormentor|
Additionally, the entrances to Hell branches are guarded by monsters from these Hells:
- Cocytus: ice statues, water elementals, simulacrums, skeletons, and zombies.
- The Iron City of Dis: iron trolls, war gargoyles, iron golems and iron dragons.
- Gehenna: fire elementals, molten gargoyles.
- Tartarus: skeletal warriors, ancient champions, shadow dragons, liches, and shadow wraiths.
|& Geryon||z Murray|
Sumoned by Geryon