| You have been transformed into a swift-moving bat, increasing your evasion but substantially weakening your melee attacks.
Any equipped weapons, armour and rings are melded, and you are unable to cast spells. The effectiveness of your melee attacks while in this form is based on experience level instead of on Unarmed Combat skill.
Bat Form is a Vampire ability and a bad form which turns the player into a small and agile bat-like creature.
- Greatly increased movement speed (0.6 movement delay, i.e. spriggan speed)
- Tiny size (good evasion and stealth)
- +5 Dexterity
- Vampires retain a 1-in-8 chance of a vampiric melee attack
- Spellcasting is disabled
- All equipment other than amulets is melded
- Unarmed Combat base damage is
1 + UC
- 0 AC
You can acquire this ability in the following ways:
- Vampires gain access to Bat Form at level 3 when Bloodless through their unique Bat Form ability.
- Jiyva may induce Bat Form (along with a vicious dose of magic contamination) at random as divine punishment.
- Being affected by a beam of polymorph.
- Weapons of chaos may polymorph the attacker or the defender.
- Clouds of chaos.
- Moon pies from a Killer Klown.
The most obvious use for Bat Form is for getting away from dangerous situations. Flying allows you to cross deep water or lava, and the speed and evasion boosts make it easy to get away from melee opponents. Enemies with ranged attacks will still be a threat, particularly if they have unavoidable or smite attacks.
Alternatively, it can be used to kite opponents if you happen to have the right abilities. Invokable and Evokable abilities still function while in Bat Form, allowing you to use wands and god-given abilities (Makhleb's abilities are particularly useful as they don't cost piety). The Fangs mutation also adds to your Unarmed Combat damage, but bats usually don't want to be in melee.
- Prior to 0.25, Transmutations miscasts could turn the player into a bat.
- Prior to 0.22, Bat Form prevented the use of wands.
- Prior to 0.20, Bat Form's Unarmed Combat base damage was
1 + UC/5for non-Vampires and
2 + UCfor Vampires. It also came with a -40% lower attack delay.
- Prior to 0.19, players could not quaff potions or open doors in Bat Form. Also, being in Bat Form reduced hunger rate to 1.
- Prior to 0.18, Bat Form had a -5 Str penalty. Also, the effectiveness of Vampire's vampiric bite was reduced while in Bat Form: they got 50% less hit points and nutrition from biting monsters with blood.
- Prior to 0.16, drawing the Metamorphosis card could result in Bat Form.
- Prior to 0.15, drawing the Flight card could result in Bat Form.
- Before their removal, the Breathe Fire and Spit Poison mutations also functioned in Bat Form.
|Transmutations|| Beastly Appendage • Blade Hands|
Spider Form • Ice Form • Statue Form • Dragon Form • Storm Form • Lich Form
|Bad Forms||Bat Form • Fungus Form • Pig Form • Tree Form • Wisp Form|