|The Chaos Knight is a plaything of Xom, subject to the god's constantly changing moods. Xom is a very unpredictable (and possibly psychotic) entity who rewards or punishes according to whim. They begin with a lightly enchanted leather armour, a simple weapon of their choice, and one of Xom's choice.|
Chaos Knights are warriors who serve Xom, the unpredictable and psychotic God of Chaos. This is not a religion for the faint of heart, for Xom is a fickle, capricious deity who sees the chosen as personal playthings. Xom takes delight in their risks and misfortunes, and is quick to punish those who are boring. Chaos Knights who can keep Xom entertained (and survive) will find themselves showered with blessings... but their lives are more often painful and short.
Chaos Knights start with 100 'piety', meaning that Xom is currently neutral towards them. This will quickly change, however.
Demigods cannot be Chaos Knights (or any other religious class).
Some species may receive different items based on their unique restrictions.
- +0 chaos weapon of choice (short sword, mace, hand axe, spear, or falchion) or unarmed.
- +2 leather armour
- Piece from Xom's chessboard
Starting Skills and Stats
These are adjusted by your species' aptitudes.
- Fighting: 3
- Chosen Weapon's Skill: 3
- Armour: 1 (+1 if Armour aptitude >= Dodging aptitude)
- Dodging: 1 (+1 if Dodging aptitude > Armour aptitude)
This is in many ways a challenge class, as dealing with Xom makes your run through the Dungeon even more of a crapshoot than it already is, especially if you choose not to spoil yourself by reading the Xom page!
Unlike other gods, Xom's feelings about you don't progress in an entirely predictable or fair manner. You do get feedback when you've done something to please Xom, but if you're used to the "follow the Appreciates list, score piety, be rewarded" logic of other gods, you'll have to abandon it here. Even if you do everything "right" by Xom, the 'rewards' are still random, just somewhat better on average. For Xom fans, of course, that's all part of the fun!
- In 0.29, most backgrounds were buffed; Chaos Knights received a piece from Xom's chessboard.
- Prior to 0.14, Chaos Knights started with 20 gold.
- Prior to 0.13, Chaos Knights started with a +2, +2 normal weapon of choice (short sword, mace, hand axe, or spear).
- In 0.7 and prior versions, Chaos Knights could worship Xom, Makhleb, or Lugonu. CK of Makhleb was particularly easy, and therefore was removed; CK of Lugonu was split off into Abyssal Knight.
|Warriors||Fighter • Gladiator • Monk • Hunter • Brigand|
|Zealots||Berserker • Chaos Knight • Cinder Acolyte|
|Warrior-mages||Transmuter • Warper • Hexslinger • Enchanter • Reaver|
|Mages||Hedge Wizard • Conjurer • Summoner • Necromancer • Fire Elementalist • Ice Elementalist • Air Elementalist • Earth Elementalist • Venom Mage|
|Adventurers||Artificer • Wanderer • Delver|