|The Gladiator has been trained to fight in the ring, and so is versed in the arts of fighting, but is not so good at anything else. In fact, Gladiators have never learned anything except bashing monsters with heavy things. They start with a nasty weapon, light armour, headgear and some nets.|
Gladiators are combatants who fight monsters and other gladiators in the arena to entertain bloodthirsty spectators. Their fighting style is more mobile (read: flashier) than more straightforward warriors, and they especially enjoy using their throwing nets to trap hapless opponents. They are thus adept in killing anything - and anyone - that gets in their way, but have little background in anything else.
Gladiators differ from the very similar Fighter in that they favour mobility (light armour and Dodging skill) over heavy armour, and are trained in Throwing. By contrast, Fighters favour heavy armour (and the Armour skill to use it), but lack any background (or equipment) for ranged combat.
Some species may receive different items based on their unique restrictions.
- +0 weapon of choice (rapier, flail, war axe, trident, long sword, quarterstaff, or unarmed)
- +0 leather armour
- +0 helmet, if your species can wear one
- 3 +0 throwing nets
Starting Skills and Stats
Adjusted for your species' aptitudes:
Those throwing nets are handy for making your enemies helpless, all the way to Zot:5, but they may be destroyed before you can reach it - throw them when your enemy is only two tiles away to give it less time to struggle.
- 0.16 allowed gladiators to choose Unarmed Combat as a starting weapon skill.
- Prior to 0.14, most gladiator starting weapons were of a lower tier: short sword instead of cutlass, mace instead of flail, hand axe instead of war axe, and falchion instead of long sword. Also, small and little characters would receive stones in place of throwing nets. They also started with 20 gold.
- Prior to 0.12, gladiators started with a buckler.
- Prior to 0.10, gladiators could not select a quarterstaff as their starting weapon.
|Warriors||Fighter • Gladiator • Monk • Hunter • Assassin|
|Zealots||Berserker • Abyssal Knight • Chaos Knight|
|Warrior-mages||Skald • Enchanter • Transmuter • Arcane Marksman • Warper|
|Mages||Wizard • Conjurer • Summoner • Necromancer • Fire Elementalist • Ice Elementalist • Air Elementalist • Earth Elementalist • Venom Mage|
|Adventurers||Artificer • Wanderer|