|The Gladiator has been trained to fight in the ring. They start with a good weapon of their choice, light armour, headgear and some throwing weapons and nets.|
Gladiators are combatants who fight other gladiators (i.e. monsters) in direct combat.
Some species may receive different items based on their unique restrictions.
- +0 weapon of choice (rapier, flail, war axe, trident, long sword, quarterstaff, or unarmed)
- +0 leather armour
- +0 helmet
- 3 throwing nets
- 1 javelin
Starting Skills and Stats
Adjusted for your species' aptitudes:
Those throwing nets are handy for making your enemies helpless, from D:1 all the way to Zot:5, but they may be destroyed before you can attack the enemy. Throw nets when you are close to your target, to give it less time to struggle.
Use your javelin (or equivalent) to soften up stronger enemies like adders before they approach you. With only 1 javelin, you will run out quickly, so don't train Throwing just because you picked this background.
- In 0.29, most backgrounds were buffed; Gladiators received a single throwing implement (which was removed from Hunter).
- 0.16 allowed gladiators to choose Unarmed Combat as a starting weapon skill.
- Prior to 0.14, most gladiator starting weapons were of a lower tier: short sword instead of cutlass, mace instead of flail, hand axe instead of war axe, and falchion instead of long sword. Also, small and little characters would receive stones in place of throwing nets. They also started with 20 gold.
- Prior to 0.12, gladiators started with a buckler.
- Prior to 0.10, gladiators could not select a quarterstaff as their starting weapon.
|Warriors||Fighter • Gladiator • Monk • Hunter • Brigand|
|Zealots||Berserker • Chaos Knight • Cinder Acolyte|
|Warrior-mages||Transmuter • Warper • Hexslinger • Enchanter • Reaver|
|Mages||Hedge Wizard • Conjurer • Summoner • Necromancer • Fire Elementalist • Ice Elementalist • Air Elementalist • Earth Elementalist • Venom Mage|
|Adventurers||Artificer • Wanderer • Delver|