| An unlabeled flask containing a single dose of unknown liquid.
"Then gave I her, - so tutor'd by my art, -
-William Shakespeare, _Romeo and Juliet_
Potions are useful consumable items represented by the '!' character. Every potion has a specific effect (beneficial or harmful) when quaffed.
List of potions
|Tile||Potion of ...||Rarity||Description|
|ambrosia||Rare||Confuses you, but dramatically increases your health and magic regeneration for several turns.|
|attraction||Uncommon||Pulls all monsters in line of sight towards you for several turns.|
|berserk rage||Rare||Makes you go berserk for several turns, increasing your speed and melee damage but inducing a period of slowness when it wears off.|
|brilliance||Uncommon||Grants Brilliance, increasing spell power and decreasing MP costs for several turns.|
|cancellation||Rare||Ends many status effects (both good and bad) and reduces magic contamination.|
|curing||Very Common||Removes poison and confusion; also heals 5-11 HP.|
|degeneration||Uncommon||Temporarily reduces all attributes (Str, Int, and Dex) by 1-3 points.|
|experience||Very Rare||You immediately gain a level and a large amount of XP to apply to your skills.|
|flight||Uncommon||Lets you fly for several dozen turns.|
|haste||Uncommon||Grants Haste for several turns, greatly speeding your actions.|
|heal wounds||Common||Heals 10-37 HP.|
|invisibility||Rare||Makes you invisible for several turns.|
|lignification||Uncommon||Grants you Tree form for several turns, increasing your defense but leaving you unable to move.|
|magic||Rare||Recovers 10-37 MP.|
|might||Uncommon||Grants the Might condition for several turns, increasing your melee damage.|
|mutation||Uncommon||Removes 2-3 mutations, then gives 1-3 random mutations, then a 50% for one good mutation.|
|resistance||Rare||Provides one level each of fire, cold, electricity, poison, and acid resistance for several turns.|
Rarity per individual potion, rounded to the nearest tenth.
- Very Common: 18.4%
- Common: 10.0%
- Uncommon: 6.4%
- Rare: 3.3%
- Very Rare: 0.2%
Apart from using a scroll of identify, there are several ways to determine the identity of potions you've picked up.
You may guess at a potion's identity by the size of the stacks in your inventory. Potions of curing and potions of heal wounds are the two most common types of potions. Note that potions can come in batches of 2 or 3, which are treated as one item for purposes of rarity. This is, of course, nonconclusive - but may be useful to know in a dire situation.
Quaffing a random potion is the most obvious way to figure out its contents, but may be dangerous. You'll want to be somewhere safe with no monsters in sight, in case of a potion of ambrosia, potion of lignification, or potion of berserk rage. Potions of degeneration and potions of mutation are also harmful, with effects that do not wear off by simply passing turns.
Monsters will sometimes drink potions within your line of sight; this identifies the potion, if it was unidentified.
Some more notes on potion identification:
- Many backgrounds begin play with an identified potion.
- Certain vaults may contain pre-identified items.
- The Sewer will often contain some potions of flight.
- In 0.31, monsters won't be able to drink potions.
- 0.28 changed potion rarities, making them more consistent.
- 0.17 Made any potion able to be found in a stack, so that information can no longer be used to narrow down the possibilities. Monster quaffing always identifies a potion.
- 0.15 Thirsty vampires now receive full effect from potions.
- 0.14 Basic 40 satiation for all potions was removed. Potions with a known type that would have no effect can no longer be quaffed at all.
- Prior to 0.12, the Evaporate spell could consume potions to generate clouds. You could also identify several unpleasant potions by creating samples of them through Fulsome Distillation.
- Potion of stabbing - 0.26, replaced by potion of attraction.
- Potion of agility - 0.25, replaced by potion of stabbing.
- Potion of blood - 0.24, with removal of Vampire hunger.
- Potion of beneficial mutation and potion of cure mutation - 0.20, merged with potion of mutation.
- Potion of poison - 0.18.
- Potion of decay - 0.17.
- Potion of restore abilities, potion of coagulated blood, and potion of porridge - 0.16.
- Potion of strong poison - 0.15.
- Potion of paralysis - 0.15.
- Potion of slowing - 0.14, replaced with potion of lignification.
- Potion of gain strength, potion of gain intelligence, and potion of gain dexterity - 0.13, replaced by potion of beneficial mutation.
- Potion of water and potion of levitation - 0.12.
|Ambrosia • Attraction • Berserk rage • Brilliance • Cancellation • Curing • Degeneration • Experience • Flight • Haste • Heal wounds • Invisibility • Lignification • Magic • Might • Mutation • Resistance|