| A very large and very heavy stone.
"Well, I run to the rock and I hide my face
-Negro spiritual. 19th cent.
Large rocks are massive throwing weapons. Only trolls, ogres, and giants have the sheer size necessary to throw these effectively. For those who can throw them, they have the best damage and lowest base mulching rate of any thrown projectile (4%). Unfortunately, they're also extremely slow; a character with no Throwing skill requires two turns to hurl one. Once you have the training to wield them effectively, however, large rocks offer gruesome amounts of ranged damage.
You can occasionally find them on the floor, but they are most often seen in the inventories of cyclopes and stone giants, who enjoy throwing them at you. They are always generated unbranded... unless, that is, you find a branded ammunition shop, which may offer you large rocks with the following brands:
- Prior to 0.20, large rocks could be used by ogres and trolls to vastly increase the power of their Sandblast spells.
- Prior to 0.18, the attack speed of Throwing weapons did not rely on your Throwing skill, making large rocks much easier to utilize even without training.
- Prior to 0.16, they had a mulch rate of 2%, and their range was somewhat randomized; attempting to throw them long distances with low strength would often result in a toss that comes short of its target.
- Prior to 0.13, large rocks were inherently penetrating.
- Prior to 0.11, mulching a large rock would create a stack of stones.
|Axes||Battleaxe • Broad axe • Executioner's axe • Hand axe • War axe|
|Bows||Shortbow (Arrow) • Longbow (Arrow)|
|Crossbows||Arbalest (Bolt) • Hand crossbow (Bolt) • Triple crossbow (Bolt)|
|Maces & Flails||Club • Demon whip • Dire flail • Eveningstar • Flail • Giant club • Giant spiked club • Great mace • Mace • Morningstar • Sacred scourge • Whip|
|Long Blades||Demon blade • Double sword • Eudemon blade • Falchion • Great sword • Long sword • Scimitar • Triple sword|
|Polearms||Bardiche • Demon trident • Glaive • Halberd • Scythe • Spear • Trident • Trishula|
|Short Blades||Dagger • Quick blade • Rapier • Short sword|
|Slings||Fustibalus (Sling bullet, Stone) • Hunting sling (Sling bullet, Stone)|
|Staves||Lajatang • Magical staff • Quarterstaff|
|Throwing||Blowgun (Needle) • Javelin • Large rock • Stone • Throwing net • Tomahawk|