| An incredibly powerful emperor on the way to godhood. He died quite some time ago, but he sees no reason why that should stop him.
“And then I looked farther, beyond the pallid line of the sands, and I saw a Pyramid of gold, the wonder Khufu had built. As a golden wonder it saluted me, as a golden thing it greeted me, as a golden miracle I shall remember it.”
Khufu the Undying Pharaoh is a unique royal mummy who couples tremendous durability with the ability to smite or torment you at will. Also, when near death he can temporarily escape the conflict by sealing himself in rock walls, rendering him untouchable unless you have the right tools. He is accompanied by an entourage of mummies and royal mummies.
Tips & Tricks
- Unless you manage to lure away individual mummies very carefully, you'll be facing an army of extremely dangerous monsters that can injure you no matter what you do. Bring as much torment resistance as you can get to avoid being decimated in the first few rounds. Aura of Abjuration will help clear out summoned monsters quickly so you don't have to waste turns smashing them the hard way. A scroll of blinking will help you get out of their line of sight quickly should everything start to fall apart.
- A potion of lignification grants torment immunity, poison resistance for the scorpions, and a significant bonus to HP, but also renders you immobile. In the sorts of areas Khufu can be found, being unable to flee from dangerous opponents can be lethal. Try to use this strategy in an area you have already cleared, so reinforcements don't stumble upon you mid-fight, and most certainly do not lignify in the open where 8 enemies can surround you.
- Try to lure Khufu into a narrow corridor (or better yet, a kill hole, though you probably won't be able to create your own in the Crypt or Tomb). Doing so cuts down on the number of reinforcements he can call in, as well as how many of his entourage will be able to reach you.
- Khufu is a good target for attacks that can bypass the front lines. Piercing attacks like javelins or bolt spells, smite-targeted attacks like Portal Projectile or some gods' Invocations, Polearms to reach past his summons...
- If you have a wand of clouds and some Evocations training, this is the time to use it. Bathing Khufu's army in a sea of flames is best, but freezing clouds will at least soften them up a little. For those with extensive Evocations training, a blast of thunderclouds or especially acid will also prove effective (though poison and negative energy will be useless).
- Silence stops up his spellcasting capabilities very effectively, assuming you can get close enough to him.
- Khufu possesses a strong defensive spell, the Tomb of Doroklohe. It seals the caster up in a ring of rock walls long enough for him to partially recover, so you'll want a wand of digging or Shatter in order to prevent him from hiding away until fully healed. Alternatively, he'll eventually come out on his own, but that's nowhere near as ideal. Of course, if you're well prepared for him, you can kill him before he even casts it.
- If there are no free spaces around Khufu, he cannot cast Tomb of Doroklohe.