See Attack speed, for an in-depth article on attack delay.
This page lists the base and mimimum delays of all melee and ranged weapons weapons and the skill level required to reach this minimum.
Most weapons have minimum attack delays of 5, 6, or 7 auts, except crossbows and quick blades, which have minimum delays of 10 and 3 respectively. The minimum delay can be calculated as
min(base delay / 2, 7). The only exceptions are rapiers, which can reach 5 despite having a base delay of 12, the three types of crossbows which can only reach 10, and stones and tomahawks which are capped at 7.
For every 2 skill levels in a skill, your attack delay is reduced by 1 aut. This determines the skill required to reach the minimum delay.
Some factors may further alter weapons' speed:
- Speed-branded weapons, reduce the attack delay of a weapon by 1/3 at all skill levels, rounding up or down randomly.
- Finesse halves all attack delays rounding up or down randomly.
- Haste or Berserk rage multiplies delays by 2/3, rounding up or down randomly. This does not stack with the effects of finesse.
- If you are wearing a shield you may suffer some penalties. See Shields.
List of weapon delays
There are two different ways to obtain some information about your attack speed.
- The turn counter in the stat area will display the time your last action took in parentheses next to the total time the game has taken. Using ctrl+direction to swing at nothing a few times should give you a pretty good indication of your attack delay.
- The @ command will print a description of your attack speed:
|Attack speed description
See individual weapon articles for more information about a given weapon.
- Prior to 0.15, ranged weapons used a completely different delay formula:
Base delay - Weapon Skill*4*Average Stat/250.
- Prior to 0.14, the speed brand halved your attack delay rounding up, and decreased pre-AC damage by 10%.
- Prior to 0.13, Finesse had no effect on non-blowgun throwing weapons.