A magical staff is a device which enhances your spells in one of a variety of different ways. It occupies your weapon slot and can be used as a +0 staff in combat if need be. Unlike normal weapons, they cannot be enchanted in any way. Instead, some magical staves deal additional elemental damage based on your skill in Evocations and the corresponding school of magic, or provide other effects such as resistances.
Magical staves can be cursed, like other weapons.
The following staves all serve as spell power multipliers for spells of their respective spell school, while penalizing spells of their opposing school (if any). Some may also add elemental damage or other effects when used in melee:
Damage Dealt: 0 to 1.25×(School+[Evocations/2])
Chance to Activate: (Evocations+School/2)×6.66% per hit
- Staff of fire: Fire damage, 1 rank of fire resistance, weakens Ice Magic.
- Staff of cold: Cold damage, 1 rank of cold resistance, weakens Fire Magic.
- Staff of earth: Physical damage, weakens Air Magic.
- Staff of air: Electricity damage, electricity resistance, weakens Earth Magic.
- Staff of poison: (50+Poison Magic×12.5)% chance to poison the target (can even affect poison-resistant living targets, but has to pass a Poison/16 chance), poison resistance.
- Staff of death: (12.5+Necromancy×12.5)% chance of negative energy damage (does not affect targets with negative energy resistance), 1 rank of negative energy resistance. Does not inflict draining on the target.
- Staff of conjuration: No bonus.
- Staff of summoning: Provides warding intrinsic; if the defender is a summoned monster, casts Abjuration against it at spell power equal to the damage other staves would deal.
The following staves have effects independent of spell schools:
- Staff of wizardry: Much like a ring of wizardry, it improves your spell success rate.
- Staff of energy: Eliminates spell hunger and may be evoked to gain MP, with a success rate based on Evocations. Costs 50 nutrition. Although this restores less MP per use than Sif Muna's channeling ability, it is much more efficient food-wise.
- Staff of power: +13 max MP.
None of the above staves grant any melee bonuses.
|Axes||Battleaxe • Broad axe • Executioner's axe • Hand axe • War axe|
|Bows||Shortbow (Arrow) • Longbow (Arrow)|
|Crossbows||Arbalest (Bolt) • Hand crossbow (Bolt) • Triple crossbow (Bolt)|
|Maces & Flails||Club • Demon whip • Dire flail • Eveningstar • Flail • Giant club • Giant spiked club • Great mace • Mace • Morningstar • Rod • Sacred scourge • Whip|
|Long Blades||Demon blade • Double sword • Eudemon blade • Falchion • Great sword • Long sword • Scimitar • Triple sword|
|Polearms||Bardiche • Demon trident • Glaive • Halberd • Scythe • Spear • Trident • Trishula|
|Short Blades||Dagger • Quick blade • Rapier • Short sword|
|Slings||Fustibalus (Sling bullet, Stone) • Hunting sling (Sling bullet, Stone)|
|Staves||Lajatang • Magical staff • Quarterstaff|
|Throwing||Blowgun (Needle) • Javelin • Large rock • Stone • Throwing net • Tomahawk|