| Hill Orcs are Orcs from the upper world who, jealous of the riches which their cousins (the Cave Orcs) possess below the ground, descend in search of plunder and adventure.
Hill Orcs are more robust than Humans. Their forte is brute-force fighting, and they are skilled at using most hand weapons (particularly axes, with which they are experts), though they are not particularly good at using missile weapons. Hill Orcs are passable users of most types of magic and are particularly skilled with Fire.
Many Orcs feel superior to all other species and beings, and they have formed a religion around that idea. Only Orcs can worship Beogh, the Orc god. They can join Beogh even without an altar whenever an orc priest is in sight.
- Hill Orcs are the only species capable of worshipping Beogh. Hill Orcs that can see a conscious orc priest or orc high priest are offered the chance to convert to Beogh on the spot.
Starting Skills and Equipment
Hill Orcs receive all the skills and equipment listed for their background.
Difficulty of Play
|Simple • Intermediate • Advanced|
Hill Orcs are an easy species to play due to their high HP and good aptitudes for combat-related skills, though their advantages here are somewhat less massive than those of, say, a Minotaur. Instead, they benefit from decent spell aptitudes in a variety of schools, as well as an excellent aptitude for Invocations allowing them a bit more versatility as a caster or through taking advantage of god-given abilities.
The higher the value, the better the aptitude.
|Maces & Flails||1||Shields||1||Summonings||0|
- Prior to the changes to rations in 0.21, Hill Orcs would always start with meat rations instead of bread rations.
- Prior to 0.15, Hill Orcs had the innate Saprovore 1 mutation.
- In 0.10, Hill Orcs received several aptitude changes to accommodate the removal of Mountain Dwarves. It is this version where they gained the +3 Invocations aptitude (+2 before the global Invocations buff was removed), a positive Fire Magic aptitude, and marginally better spellcasting stats.
- Prior to 0.8, Hill Orcs received only +2 MR per level.
- Prior to 0.6, Hill Orcs received +3 magic resistance points per level.
|Simple||Hill Orc • Minotaur • Merfolk • Gargoyle • Draconian • Palentonga • Troll • Ghoul • Gnoll|
|Intermediate||Human • Kobold • Demonspawn • Djinni • Spriggan • Tengu • Deep Elf • Ogre • Deep Dwarf|
|Advanced||Vine Stalker • Vampire • Demigod • Formicid • Naga • Octopode • Felid • Barachi • Mummy|