|A small axe, designed for throwing.|
Tomahawks were a form of Throwing weapon directly between stones and javelins in terms of power. Although somewhat less powerful than javelins, they could be thrown by all characters regardless of size and were still capable of inflicting decent damage.
Tomahawks can have the following brands:
Tomahawks have a mulch rate of 5%, meaning there is a 1-in-20 chance that they will be destroyed each time the player throws them. Tomahawks branded with exploding or dispersal will always be destroyed on hit.
- Characters should pick these up without fail on the first few floors. Having a source of ranged damage output, even an unreliable one, can make a big difference. Softening up inescapable adders before engaging them in melee can greatly improve a level 1 or 2 characters' chance of survival. That being said, ogres and gnolls may still be worth running from - your tomahawks might soften them up first, but it doesn't take many hits from a halberd or giant spiked club to take out weak adventurers.
- Dispersal tomahawks can be very handy for situations where you need an opponent to back off, but remember that you need to deal damage for the brand to trigger. Characters with no Throwing skill may have trouble doing so against enemies with decent AC.
- In 0.24, tomahawks were replaced by boomerangs, which innately have the returning property.
- Prior to 0.18, you needed 27 Throwing skill to reach min delay.
- In 0.17, exploding tomahawks were introduced.
- Tomahawks were added in 0.14, compensating for the fact that smaller melee weapons (such as hand axes and spears) were no longer throwable. Smaller species whose backgrounds would normally start with javelins (such as Hunters) were instead given the option of starting with tomahawks.
|Axes||Battleaxe • Broad axe • Executioner's axe • Hand axe • War axe|
|Bows||Shortbow (Arrow) • Longbow (Arrow)|
|Crossbows||Arbalest (Bolt) • Hand crossbow (Bolt) • Triple crossbow (Bolt)|
|Maces & Flails||Club • Demon whip • Dire flail • Eveningstar • Flail • Giant club • Giant spiked club • Great mace • Mace • Morningstar • Sacred scourge • Whip|
|Long Blades||Demon blade • Double sword • Eudemon blade • Falchion • Great sword • Long sword • Scimitar • Triple sword|
|Polearms||Bardiche • Demon trident • Glaive • Halberd • Scythe • Spear • Trident • Trishula|
|Short Blades||Dagger • Quick blade • Rapier • Short sword|
|Slings||Fustibalus (Sling bullet, Stone) • Hunting sling (Sling bullet, Stone)|
|Staves||Lajatang • Magical staff • Quarterstaff|
|Throwing||Boomerang • Dart • Javelin • Large rock • Stone • Throwing net|