Difference between revisions of "Ranged weapon"
(cleaned up; can ammunition still have racial types?)
m (Nope, no orcish or elven arrows and bolts no more.)
|Line 25:||Line 25:|
Ammunition comes in a bewildering variety. Stones, large rocks, and nets are never branded (except when found in certain rare [[shop]]s), but other ammo (including darts and javelins) can have
Ammunition comes in a bewildering variety. Stones, large rocks, and nets are never branded (except when found in certain rare [[shop]]s), but other ammo (including darts and javelins) can have . Ammo brands include [[silver]] and [[steel]], which provide various benefits at the cost of increased weight.
Revision as of 07:21, 3 August 2013
These require no launcher, although some are more effective with one. They are governed by the Throwing skill.
- Dart - A small pointy weapon that is thrown by hand. Popular with kobolds and may come with various brands. Unbranded darts are also available from traps.
- Stone - A common item found in piles in the dungeon. They don't come with brands and aren't any stronger than darts, but they cannot be eaten by jellies. May also be used with a sling.
- Javelin - A lethally sharp kind of spear built for throwing. Hunters may choose to begin with them. Occasionally found in the dungeon, but not common, though merfolk javelineers carry stacks of them. They may have any of several brands. Javelins are fairly heavy, especially when made of steel.
- Large rock - A very heavy boulder-sized stone. Ogre and troll hunters may begin with a small supply of them, and they are also carried by very large enemies such as cyclopes or stone giants; otherwise they are uncommon. Large rocks are the most damaging thrown weapon available.
- Throwing net - These do no damage, but immobilize a creature until they break free. The net will be damaged or destroyed as the victim escapes. Gladiators begin with them; more can be found, whether occasionally in the dungeon, through traps, or in the possession of gnolls or hill giants.
Throwable Melee Weapons
These melee weapons can also be thrown, with no launcher needed. Unlike thrown-only weapons and ammunition, these do not "stack" in your inventory; each weapon always takes a separate slot. However, they also never mulch. If a monster starts with several hand axes or spears, they will all have the same enchantment, or lack thereof.
- Club - Popular with early goblins and hobgoblins, but fairly weak.
- Dagger - Can be thrown for respectable damage, and a plentiful supply can be obtained from killed monsters, as it is a common weapon.
- Hand axe - Easy to find from killed monsters. Some enemies carry several; if these are enchanted, they will all be the same.
- Spear - Like the hand axe, some enemies have several of them (which may be enchanted, all alike). May also be found in traps (though those are never enchanted).
- Sling - The simplest and most common launcher, it can throw stones or more powerful sling bullets, a specially-made ammunition for the sling. Occasionally found on goblins. They are governed by the Slings skill.
- Blowgun - A hollow tube used to fire poisoned needles of various types. It is a preferred weapon of kobolds. The needles come in several types with various effects, but most are simply poisoned. Monsters can resist needle effects, and needles do no other damage: the enchantment of the launcher increases accuracy and efficacy of needles. They are governed by the Throwing skill.
- Bow/Longbow - A preferred weapon of centaurs, who can do heavy damage with them. Inaccurate but fast, they fire arrows and are governed by the Bows skill.
- Crossbow - Fairly rare in the early game, these are slower but more accurate and damaging than bows. Yaktaurs use them to great effect, as well as the occasional kobold. They are governed by the Crossbows skill.
Ammunition comes in a bewildering variety. Stones, large rocks, and nets are never branded (except when found in certain rare shops), but other ammo (including darts and javelins) can have brands. Ammo brands include silver and steel, which provide various benefits at the cost of increased weight.
- Darts, spears, arrows, bolts, needles, and throwing nets can be harvested in small numbers from dungeon traps. All trap ammo is unbranded (apart from needles, which are always merely poisoned).
- Thrown-only missiles and ammunition will stack in your inventory.
- Missiles and launchers can carry a variety of brands, such as flame or poisoned. If both your launcher and your missiles have brands, the brand of the missile will usually override that of the launcher. However, in some situations the brand will not be implemented. For example, frost arrows used in a bow of flame will cancel each other out, producing normal arrows.
Ranged weapons table
|Name||Dam||Hit||Speed||Mass||Str weight||Skill||Hands||Size||Missile||Throw||Dam Type||Prob|
|Sling||0||+2/~+7||11||20||10%||Slings||One||Little|| Stone /
- E. Grasland's excellent spoiler on weapons (Obsolete)